Thursday, November 8, 2007

Little Acorn Mine, Greenhorn Mountains



I received permission to collect minerals at the Little Acorn Mine in the Greenhorn Mountains recently, and went on an exploratory trip to familarize myself with the claim. This is an active mine, and permission is required to collect there. The Little Acorn was previously a tungsten producer, and back then was known as the Aldridge Mine. Nowadays the claim is a good spot for garnet, epidote, scheelite, and included quartz. It is situated on a steep hillside of large oak and pine trees. There is evidence of alot of deer and rabbits, and I found where an animal had dug out a beehive and ripped apart the hive - does this mean bear? Milky quartz chips stand out in the heavy bed of pine needles and oak leaves, and as one ascends the hill, the quartz has a pinkish hue. The Greenhorns are know for great rose quartz, and I've been told there is an outcrop nearby. I found a large chunk of quartz with little garnets all over it, some scheelite ore, and a colorful piece of jasper that looks like it will slab nicely. I left these for my return trip. Now that I know the lay of the land, I hope to speak to the owner about more details on the best areas to collect in.

No comments: